Muttar Paneer – easily one of the most loved Indian vegetarian curries! This recipe has a refreshing mint and cilantro flavor that is just out of this world and a great variation to the traditional tomato based dish.
Oil – 2 tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1″pc.
Cloves – 2
Green Cardamom – 2
Onions – 1 large, chopped
Garlic – 2 large cloves
Ginger – 1″ pc.
Green Chili – to taste
Mint – handful
Cilantro – 1/2 cup, packed
Paneer – 1/2 pkt (7-8 oz), cubed
Salt – to taste
Black Cumin – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Frozen Green Peas – 16 oz pkt
Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Heavy Cream – 3 tbsp
Water – as needed
1. Heat a medium size pan on medium heat.
2. Add in the Oil and allow it to heat up.
3. Cook and stir the Paneer in the Oil till it is golden in color.
4. Take out the Paneer on a paper towel and keep aside.
5. In the remaining Oil add in the chopped Onions and stir for a minute.
6. Add in the Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies.
7. Cook till the Onions are cooked and have a nice brown color.
8. Take it off the flame and allow the Onions to cool down.
9. Meanwhile, soak the fried Paneer in room temperature water.
10. In a blender, grind the Onions, Cilantro and Mint – in that order.
11. Heat the balance of the Oil (add a tsp more if need be).
12. Once hot, add in Shahi Jeera (Black Cumin) and allow them to splutter.
13. Add in the Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamoms and Cloves, cook for 30 secs.
14. Add in the Turmeric Powder and then the Ground Mixture.
15. Cook for a minute or so and add in the Green Peas.
16. Mix well and add in water (enough to cook the Peas).
17. Add in the Red Chili Powder and Salt. Mix well.
18. Cover and cook until the Peas are tender (approx 5-7 minutes).
19. Gently squeeze the water out of the Paneer and put it in with the Peas.Mix well.
20. Lower heat and add in the well-beaten Yogurt/Curd and Heavy Cream.Mix well.
21. Add in Garam Masala and Water (if required).
22. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
23. Serve hot with Chapatis or Rice. Serves 4.