There are shops that are dedicated to making ONLY Pakodas in India. Ever wonder why? Well, it is a dish that has a following and once you get hooked…
Chickpea Flour – 1/2 cup
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Roasted Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1/4 cup
Oil – for deep frying
Vegetables – Assorted (Potatoes, Zuchinni, Spinach, Green Chili)
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl – Chickpea Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Red Chili Powder, Roasted Cumin Powder, Turmeric and Chaat Masala.
2. Mix well and make sure there are no lumps.
3. Slowly add in the Water and keep mixing.
4. Heat Oil for deep frying on medium heat.
5. Prep Vegetables for frying.
6. Check the Oil temperature – drop a couple of drops of batter in the Oil and they should float up right away.
6. Dip the vegatables in the batter and drop them in the Oil.
7. Cook on both sides (the coating should be a golden red)
8. Once done, strain the Oil and put the pakodas on a kitchen towel to drain out any excess Oil.
9. Serve with Tamarind or Mint/Cilantro chutney.
Potatoes – Peel and slice thin or sticks
Cauliflower – bite size florets
Zuchinni – Slice or cut into spears
Chilis – slit or fry whole.
Mushrooms – whole or cut (depending on the size)
Paneer – cubes or fingers
Bell Pepper – Cubed or lengthwise
Eggplant – Slice thin
Onions – Sliced rings