Though many people refer to a variety of beans as Lentils, lentils are actually small, round and flat legumes with a dark brown husk. Lentil Soup (or Masoor Daal) is hearty, homey and satisfying. Packed with protein and fiber, this Lentil Soup recipe makes a healthy and filling lunch. Pair it with rice or chapati and you have a complete dinner.
Whole Lentil – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely grated
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp or to taste
Salt – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Lemon Juice – to taste
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 5 sprigs, chopped for garnishing
1. Wash Lentil in running water until water runs clear. Soak for approx 1 hour. Drain water.
2. Add Lentil and 3 cups Water in a pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
3. Heat Oil in a pan.
4. Add Mustard Seeds and Cumin Seeds and allow them to splutter.
5. Add Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida, Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Green Chilies – mix well and cook until onions turn translucent and light brown.
6. Add Tomato – mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Red Chili Powder – cook for 1 minute.
8. Add in cooked Lentil, Salt and a little extra water if the mixture is too thick.
9. Allow to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add Lemon Juice to taste and garnish with Cilantro.
11. Serves 4-5
1. Soaking the Lentil for about an hour before pressure cooking reduces cooking time.
2. For a creamy variation, add a dollop of yogurt (at the end) to your lentil soup.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
How to make lentil soup, what is lentil called in hindi, what is masoor daal called in english, indian style lentil soup, easy masoor dal recipe, hearty soup recipes for the winter, vegetarian soups, vegan soups.