We love to call this ‘jhatt-patt’ rice. ‘Jhatt-Patt’ means quick and easy! What a fabulous name for this wonderful makeover for some leftover Rice. It is amazing what a little masala (spices) can do to freshen up the leftovers, give it a facelift and getting a warm welcome to the table. The Channa Masala gives the dish the color, sourness and the flavor but if you don’t have that, substitute with Pav Bhaji Masala or some Sambar Powder so a unique and delicious flavors. This one is another great dish to take for lunches to school or work. So finish off the leftovers and get a great dish out of it, what a brilliant idea!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 7 min
Cooked Rice (White or Brown) – 3 Cups
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Peanuts – 3 tbsp
Curry Leaves – sprig
Green Chillies – to taste
Channa Masala – 2 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Cilantro – for garnishing
1. In a pan, heat some Oil.
2. Once hot, add in some Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
3. Add in a pinch of Asafoetida, a little Turmeric Powder and some Peanuts, in that order.
4. Allow the Peanuts to cook and turn reddish-gold in color.
5. Meanwhile, heat the leftover Rice in the microwave to get it to room temperature.
6. Add Spices (Channa Masala, Salt) to the Rice in a bowl and mix well and keep aside.
7. Once the Peanuts are cooked, add in Curry Leaves and finely chopped Green Chillies.
8. Immediately after that, add in the spiced Rice.
9. Toss and mix well and allow the Rice to heat all the way through.
10. Garnish with fresh Cilantro and serve hot.
Check out the ShowMeThecurry YouTube Channel
Connect with us on Social Media:
Leftover rice dish, spruce up leftover rice, lunch box ideas,