Quick, easy and very healthy! This Sabut Masala Chicken has a very appealing look and a flavor that surpasses all others. The whole spices pop out without being overbearing and overtaking from the main ingredient.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Serves: 6 (main course) 10 (appetizer)
Boneless Chicken Thighs – 2 1/2 lbs (1 kg)
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Sauf (Fennel Seeds) – 1 tsp
Kalonji (Onion Seeds/Nigella) – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – 1/2 tsp
Dried Pomegranate Seeds – 1 tsp, powdered
Whole Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp, roughly crushed
Dry Red Chili Flakes – 2 tsp or to taste
Curry Leaves – 3 sprigs
Ginger – 2 Tbsp, thinly sliced
Garlic – 6 large cloves, sliced
Green Chilies – 4 to 5 or to taste, slit
Onion – 1 large, sliced
Tomato – 1 large, sliced
Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
Cilantro – few sprigs, chopped for garnishing
1. Cut and clean Chicken to bite size pieces.
2. Roughly crush Pomegranate Seeds and Whole Black Peppercorns.
3. In a separate bowl, combine Mustard Seeds, Sauf, Kalonji, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds and Chilli Flakes. Also add in Pomegranate and Peppercorns.
4. Heat Oil in a large wok or a skillet.
5. In the hot Oil, add in the spices and allow them to pop and crackle.
6. Add in the Curry Leaves, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies. Mix.
7. Add in sliced Onions and Salt.
8. Increase the heat to a high and allow Onions cook for 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring.
9. Add sliced Tomatoes and mix to allow the Oil and masala to coat them.
10. Add Chicken and mix well. Add additional Salt if needed.
11. Allow the Chicken to cook for 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring for even cooking.
12. Cut a piece of Chicken to ensure it is cooked all the way.
13. Once cooked, serve hot if being used as an entree or cook further if being served as an appetizer.
14. Garnish with some Cilantro.