Blueberry muffins are great for breakfast, part of a lunch or as a snack. A perfect on-the-go treat. This recipe can be very easily made without eggs (substitute the egg with flax seed powder) and you have yourself a great vegan/vegetarian muffin. Serve some warm muffins with cold vanilla ice cream and guess what you have…?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: approx 12
Canola/Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Large Egg – 1
Whole Wheat Flour – 1.5 cups
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Fresh Blueberries – 1 cup
Orange Juice – 1/2 cup
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. In a large bowl, pour the Oil.
3. Mix in the Sugar and break the Egg into it and whisk till it is creamy.
4. Separately, sift the following: Whole Wheat Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Set aside.
5. Add 1 tbsp of the sifted Flour into the Berries and toss till all the berries are coated. Set aside.
6. Fold the sifted dry ingredients and the Orange Juice into the Oil and Sugar mixture alternately.
7. Add and fold till all the dry ingredients and the Orange Juice is incorporated into the batter. Try not to overwork the batter.
8. Mix in the Blueberries, folding into the batter 2-3 times.
9. Coat a muffin tray with some cooking spray.
10. Divide the batter into the muffin tray filling only 3/4th of the way.
11. Bake in the center of the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
12. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
13. Take the tray out of the oven and 2-3 minutes, pop the muffins out so they do not sweat, create moisture and get soggy.
14. Transfer them on to a cooking rack and allow them to cool a bit before digging in.
15. They can also be stored in an air-tight container in a fridge.
16. Enjoy them cold or reheat before serving.
1. To make them Eggless and Vegan, check out this substitute:
Egg Substitute Tip