Sweet potato pies show up more than often at Thanksgiving spreads or potlucks but why not change it up a bit this season? Try this scrumptious Sweet Potato Crumble… tender sweet potatoes topped with a crispy pecan, oats and coconut crumble. The other reason we love this recipe is because it can be made Vegan very easily – just switch out the Ghee for Coconut Oil. For a cute presentation, make it in individual ramekins and watch their jaws drop!
A special thanks to Kavita from ‘Salt…as needed’ (https://saltasneeded.com/) for sharing this recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Sweet Potatoes – 1 lb, washed, peeled and cubed
Ghee – 1/3rd cup (Coconut Oil for Vegan alternative)
Cinnamon Sticks – 3
Thyme – 10 sprigs approximately
Dried Red Chilli – 1, optional but highly recommended
Salt – a pinch
Oats – 1/3rd cup, roughly crushed
Desiccated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Pecans – large handful, roughly crushed
Brown Sugar – 1/4 cup
All Purpose Flour – 2 Tablespoons
1. Wash, peel and cube the Sweet Potatoes to equal sizes.
2. In a skillet, heat Ghee (or Coconut Oil) and add in the Cinnamon Sticks, Thyme and Dried Red Chilli.
3. Once the Ghee has heated up, add in the cubed Sweet Potatoes and sprinkle with a pinch of Salt.
4. Mix well and allow all the Sweet Potato cubes to be coated with Ghee.
5. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow the Sweet Potatoes to cook.
6. Stir often and cook till the Sweet Potatoes are soft but not mushy. They need to retain their shape.
7. Once cooked, transfer only the Sweet Potatoes to a pie dish for serving.
8. Discard the Cinnamon Sticks, Red Chilli and the sprigs of Thyme.
9. Save the Ghee (or Coconut Oil) in the skillet for the crumble.
10. Spread the Sweet Potatoes in the dish and flatten them without pressing on them.
11. Preheat oven at 375 degrees F (approx 190 degrees C)
12. In a mixing bowl combine Oats, Coconut, Pecans, Brown Sugar and All Purpose Flour.
13. Pour in the leftover Ghee from the skillet into the bowl and mix it very well.
14. Evenly spread the crumble over the Sweet Potatoes.
15. Place in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes till see a little golden edges.
16. Remove from the oven and serve hot with some ice-cream or just plain whipped cream.