There can never be enough daal recipes to keep your dinner menu fresh and exciting. Try this Simple Daal Fry recipe for a satisfying and filling accompaniment to plain white rice or chapati. As they say…”variety is the spice of life”.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Toor Daal – 1 cup, washed and drained
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chili – 1
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Green Chilies – to taste, slit
Onion – 1/2 medium, chopped small
Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
Garlic – 2 large cloves, minced
Tomatoes – 2 medium, chopped
Water – 1 cup (or as needed for desired consistency)
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – few sprigs, chopped to garnish
1. In a pressure cooker, add Toor Daal, Water, Turmeric Powder and Oil. Cook on high for 1 whistle, turn off the stove and allow the pressure to go down on its own.
2. Heat Oil in a medium pan on medium heat and add Mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop.
3. Add Dry Red Chili, Curry leaves, Asafoetida, Green Chilies, Onions, Ginger and Garlic (in that order).
4. Mix well and cook until the Onions are translucent (2-3 minutes)
5. Add Tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add cooked Daal, 1 cup Water, Salt and Red Chili Powder.
7. Mix well, cover and bring to a boil.
8. Garnish with Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) and serve hot with rice or chapati.