We are always looking for ways to present our staple daals in different ways to our family, friends and our taste-buds. Well, here is a great one that with tickle (almost) all your senses. The textures, the colors, the aroma and the flavors, just incredible! Mung Dal with Asparagus is bound to make you happy and happy is what we want to be.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Mung Daal – 1 cup
Asparagus – 1 lb, cut into 1 inch pieces (keep tips whole)
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – approx 10
Fennel Seeds (Saunf) – 1/4 tsp, powdered
Black Peppercorn – 1/4 tsp, powdered
Asofoetida – 1/8 tsp
Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste – 2 Tbsp or to taste
Diced Tomatoes – 14 oz can
Salt – to taste
Curry Powder – 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder – to taste
1. Wash Mung Daal well and drain. Wash and cut Asparagus to 1″ pieces.
2. Pressure Mung Daal with Water, Salt and Turmeric.
3. Cook for 1 whistle, turn off flame and remove pressure after 3-4 minutes under running water.
4. Meanwhile, in a wok-style pan, work on the seasoning.
5. Heat Oil and add in Mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop and splutter.
6. Add in Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Powdered Fennel Seeds and Black Peppercorns, Asofoetida, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies in that order.
7. Cook for about 30 seconds.
8. Add in diced Tomatoes, mix, cover.
9. Cook until oil separates from the tomatoes. approx 10 min
10. Add Curry Powder and Red Chili Powder to taste
11. Add Asparagus, mix and cook for 5 minutes
12. Add cooked Mung Daal, mix, cover and cook until everything is incorporated.
13. Add Lemon juice optional for garnish. Serve hot.
1. Add additional water to make it more soup-y to have with rice.
2. Link to our Curry Powder Recipe: https://showmethecurry.com/odds-ends/homemade-curry-powder.html
0 thoughts on “Mung Daal with Asparagus Recipe”
Great recipe. I substituted asparagus with snake gourd(parval. And it turned out just great. Thanks for bringing these unusual recipes to us. Also liked the taste of saunf and peppercorn in the dish. This is definitely becoming a regular in my home. Simply love your presentations – they make a recipe look so easy-to-make.
The 2nd best daal I have ever had! amazing!!!! Even my husband who hates asparagus loved this daal! So thankful for your healthy and tasty recipes! Keep up the great work guys!
wow lovely recipe, also what a great video, very polished and professional but still friendly. Great job!!
H & A, can anyone pls tell me where to buy that spice box with glass container in it ?? I really love that. All ur kitchen gadgets are really nice.
Thanks for yet another great recipe. Its cooking right now! I even made a fresh batch of curry powder just so that my dish can be the same as yours 🙂
One small correction is needed in your recipe. Your video says 2 tspn of curry powder for the recipe but written recipe saws 2 TBSP. Please make the necessary changes.
Great recipe. Hetal, where did you get that spice dabba with glass jars ? Does it has lid ? Pls let me know. It looks traditional. Thank you.
Interesting combination ! Looks yummy.
Made this today and turned out really great!! Followed the recipe to a T and loved the ease. Also great way to use asparagus!! I also added a bit of half-n-half in the end to make it little creamy….Thanks for a great recipe!
thank u for the nice recipe. can you tell me from when did u guys bought those spice jars.
its hard to find in east coast.
These spice jars you can find in walmart.
This receipe is fabulous, one of my favourite dish.
Must try & see the out come.
Thank You !
Although I cannot eat asparagus, this dal would be fabulous (with a substitute, perhaps broccoli)because of the seasoning.
Thank You, I love most dals I try. This one is tops.
Heya, nice recipe. Wheres your curry powder recipe?
Here it is:
Well done ladies, this recipe is a total winner!
You’re lucky to have big bundles asparagus at this time of the year, although available year-round it normally comes into season (and is more affordable) in the UK around May. Looking forward to trying it then.
excellent recipe…i really avoid this two things to cook as i dont know how to cook asparagus and moong dal…but this is a good recipe…i am doing this tomorrow…thank you guys…U rock…