We are always looking for ways to present our staple daals in different ways to our family, friends and our taste-buds. Well, here is a great one that with tickle (almost) all your senses. The textures, the colors, the aroma and the flavors, just incredible! Mung Dal with Asparagus is bound to make you happy and happy is what we want to be.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Mung Daal – 1 cup
Asparagus – 1 lb, cut into 1 inch pieces (keep tips whole)
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – approx 10
Fennel Seeds (Saunf) – 1/4 tsp, powdered
Black Peppercorn – 1/4 tsp, powdered
Asofoetida – 1/8 tsp
Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste – 2 Tbsp or to taste
Diced Tomatoes – 14 oz can
Salt – to taste
Curry Powder – 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder – to taste
1. Wash Mung Daal well and drain. Wash and cut Asparagus to 1″ pieces.
2. Pressure Mung Daal with Water, Salt and Turmeric.
3. Cook for 1 whistle, turn off flame and remove pressure after 3-4 minutes under running water.
4. Meanwhile, in a wok-style pan, work on the seasoning.
5. Heat Oil and add in Mustard Seeds. Allow them to pop and splutter.
6. Add in Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Powdered Fennel Seeds and Black Peppercorns, Asofoetida, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies in that order.
7. Cook for about 30 seconds.
8. Add in diced Tomatoes, mix, cover.
9. Cook until oil separates from the tomatoes. approx 10 min
10. Add Curry Powder and Red Chili Powder to taste
11. Add Asparagus, mix and cook for 5 minutes
12. Add cooked Mung Daal, mix, cover and cook until everything is incorporated.
13. Add Lemon juice optional for garnish. Serve hot.
1. Add additional water to make it more soup-y to have with rice.
2. Link to our Curry Powder Recipe: https://showmethecurry.com/odds-ends/homemade-curry-powder.html