Channa Daal with Zucchini is a great combination and a very simple dish. Channa Daal is a heavy daal and cooking it with zucchini makes it a lot lighter and easier on the stomach. Needless to say that it is also a very colorful daal, the green of the zucchini, the red of the tomatoes (that’s why we kept big pieces) andthe yellow of the daal…very appealing to the eye.
Prep time:5 min
Cook time:20 min
Channa Daal – 1 cup
Zucchini – 2 small (approx. 1/2 lb), cut
Water – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Green Chili – to taste
Onion – 1/2 med, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 med, chopped
Cilantro – for garnish
1. Wash and soak the Channa Daal for an hour.
2. Drain out the water and put the Daal in a pressure cooker.
3. Add in the Zucchini, Water, Salt and Turmeric Powder.
4. Mix well, Close pressure cooker and give it 1 wistle and then allow the pressure to release by itself.
5. For the seasoning, in a skillet, heat Oil on medium heat.
6. Once the Oil is hot, add in Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
7. Add in the Asafoetida and then the Onions.
8. Cook for a minute and add in Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies.
9. Cook till the Onions turn translucent.
10. Add in the Tomatoes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
11. Open the pressure cooker and check on the Daal.
12. Turn on the stove and allow it to come to a boil.
13. Add in the seasoning to te Daal.
14. Allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
15. Garnish with Cilantro and it’s ready to serve.