Black Eyed Peas are a a great addition to any diet. They are high in fiber and are also a great source of potassium. This simple dish is home-cooking, easy to make yet packed with flavor and nutritional value. The slow-cooker recipe makes it a breeze in the kitchen.
Soak Time: 8 hours
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 6 hours (Slow Cooker)
30 minutes (Stove-top)
Dried Black Eyed Peas – 1 cup, washed and soaked overnight
Onion – 1/2 medium
Tomatoes – 2 medium
Garlic – 2 cloves
Ginger – 2″ cube
Oil – 1 tbsp
Green Chillies – to taste
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Lime or Lemon Juice – to taste
Cilantro – for garnish
1. Drain the water from the Black Eyed Peas and transfer to a slow-cooker.
2. In a blender, grind the following: Onions, Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chili and Oil. Use part of the water if needed.
3. Grind to a smooth paste and add to the slow-cooker.
4. Add in the water and the dry spices: Salt, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Chaat Masala and Red Chili Powder.
5. Cook on high for 5 hours, covered and then for 1 hour uncovered.
6. Add a squeeze of Lime or Lemon Juice and garnish with Cilantro.
7. Serve hot with Rice or Chapatis.
Pressure Cooker Method
1. Pressure cook the Black Eyed Peas with Water (3 whistles or 9 minutes after pressure).
2. Take off the flame and allow the pressure to release by itself.
3. In a skillet, heat Oil and add Turmeric Powder.
4. Add in the ground Onions after a minute add in ground Ginger and Garlic. Allow the Onions to get translucent.
5. Add in the Ground Tomatoes and cook down until moisture evaporates and the Oil separates.
6. Add in dry spices: Salt, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Chaat Masala and Red Chili Powder.
7. Cook for a couple of minutes and mix into the Black Eyed Peas.
8. Mix and bring it to a boil.
9. Adjust seasoning, add Lemon or Lime Juice and garnish with Cilantro.
10. Serve hot with Rice or Chapati.