If you’re tired of the same old biryanis, try this Goan inspired recipe for Shrimp (Prawn) Biryani. With the creaminess of coconut milk and freshness of mint, it’s the perfect combination!
Serves – 4
Shrimp – 1/2 lb, cleaned and de-veined (tail on or off)
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Green Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 2
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1″pc.
Ginger, Garlic & Green Chillies – 2 tbsp
Fried Onions – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 2 med, chopped
Salt – to taste
Red Chilli Powder – to taste
Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
Coconut Milk – 2 cups
Basmati Rice – 1 cup, washed and drained, but NOT soaked
Clarified Butter/Ghee – 1 Tbsp, for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamom and Cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add Fried Onions and mix.
4. Add Tomatoes and Shrimp — mix.
5. Add Red Chili Powder, Salt and Mint Leaves — mix.
6. Add Coconut Milk and washed Rice — mix well.
7. Cover, pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove. (Electric stove users — remove from the stove)
8. Allow pressure to go down by itself.
9. Open pressure cooker and fluff biryani with a fork.
10. Drizzle Clarified Butter (ghee) over the top, cover and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.