South Indian cuisine (namely Idli, Dosa, Vadai) is never complete unless it is accompanied by a flavorful chutney. Two of the most popular chutneys are Coconut Chutney and Tomato Onion Chutney. This particular Tomato Onion Chutney recipe uses fragrant Sesame Oil to season it. Although simple in it’s preparation, it’ll really add a whole new flavor dimension to your meal.
Sesame Oil – 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp (divided)
Onions – 2 small, chopped
Crushed Tomatoes – 14 oz
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole Dry Red Chili – 1
Asafoetida (hing) – 1/8 tsp
1. Heat 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil in a pan.
2. Saute Onions until lightly caramelized.
3. Add Crushed Tomatoes and cook until oil separates.
4. Add Salt and Red Chili Powder, mix well.
5. Cool lightly and pulse blend the mixture.
6. Remove chutney into a serving bowl.
7. In a small skillet, heat 1 tsp Sesame Oil.
8. Add Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
9. Break and add Whole Red Chili.
10. Add Asafoetida, mix lightly and add seasoning to the chutney. Mix well and serve.