Mexican cuisine is always a favorite for the Indian palate as it has so many similar flavors – cumin, coriander, garlic, chili, etc. Try this easy Bean and Cheese Enchiladas recipe made with corn tortillas and a homemade enchilada sauce. Combine the enchiladas with some guacamole, chips and salsa and Spanish rice and you have a complete meal.
For the Sauce: (for approx 12 enchiladas)
Flour – 1 Tbsp
Oil – 1 Tbap
Tomato Sauce – 8 oz can
Broth/Stock – 14 oz can
Water – 1/4 cup
Oregano – 1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Sugar – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
For the Enchiladas:
Refried Beans (Click here for Refried Beans recipe)
Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Colby or Monterey Jack)
1. Heat Oil in a pan.
2. Add All-purpose Flour and whisk well.
3. Once the flour turns light pink, add Broth, Tomato Sauce, and Water.
4. Add Garlic Powder, Cumin Powder, Oregano, Salt, Sugar and Chili Powder. Mix well, cover and allow to come to a boil.
5. Uncover and allow the sauce to thicken (stir frequently). Remove from heat when thickened.
(Preheat Oven to 400F/204C)
6. Spray an oven proof pan with Oil and spread a little sauce to coat the bottom.
7. Wrap Corn Tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.
8. Spread each Tortilla with 1-2 tablespoons of Sauce.
9. Place 2-3 Tbsp of Refried Beans along the center of the Tortilla.
10. Sprinkle Cheese and Onions on top of the beans.
11. Roll the Tortilla and place it seam side down in the pan.
12. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
13. Spread remaining Sauce over the rolled Enchiladas.
14. Sprinkle Cheese, Onions and Black Olives over the top.
15. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes at 400F/204C in the oven.
16. Serve immediately.