In the event that you can only have one and only one dish, make sure it’s a dessert, especially if you can lay your hands on a Tres Leches Cake! As delicious as this dessert is, there seems to be some dispute over it’s origin. Some historians believe that it originated in Nicaragua, some say Mexico. One thing is sure…there are not enough words to describe this cake that just melts in your mouth. Latin desserts are just the greatest whether you have a sweet tooth or not – churros, flan, Tres Leches to name a few.
We really want you to go ahead dig into this one without a worry in the world.
Prep Time: 30 min + overnight refrigeration
Cook Time: 45 min
Serves: 20-24 pcs.
For the Cake:
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 2.25 cups
Baking Powder – 1.5 tsp
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Eggs – 4
Sugar – 1.5 cups
Vanilla – 1.5 tsp
Cold Water – 3/4 cup
For the Milks:
Evaporated Milk – 2, 12 oz cans
Sweetened Condensed Milk – 2, 14 oz cans
Heavy Whipping Cream – 2, 1 pint cartons/ 16 oz / 2 cups
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F/ 162 C.
2. Break Eggs into a bowl and whisk till the Eggs are light and fluffy.
3. Meanwhile also sift Flour, baking Powder and Salt and keep aside.
4. Mix the vanilla to the Cold Water and keep aside.
5. Once the Eggs are done, add a little bit of Sugar at a time and keep whisking.
6. Then add in the Flour mixture and Vanilla & Water mixture to the Eggs and keep beating.
7. Keep adding a little at a time till both the mixtures finish.
8. Keep whisking till the batter is smooth and has no lumps.
9. Grease and prep a 13X9 inch baking dish.
10. Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 45 min in the middle of the oven.
11. For the Milks: mix 1 can of Condensed Milk, 1 can of Evaporated Milk and 1 pint of Heavy Cream.
12. Insert a toothpick in the middle, if it comes out clean it is done.
13. Once baked, while it is still cooling, poke holes in the cake every 1/8th of an inch apart.
14. While still hot, pour the Milks over the cake allowing it to seep in through the holes and letting the cake absorb the Milks.
15. Cover the cake and refrigerate the cake overnight.
16. Next day repeat the process: mix another batch of milks and pour more over the cake.
17. Allow the Cake to absorb as much as possible and cover and chill till ready to serve.
18. At the time of serving pour a spoon or two of the Milks, top with some Cool Whip and a Strawberry.
19. Sit back and enjoy the compliments!