Festivals and holidays are right around the corner. Celebrate your family and friends this year with delicious Besan ki Burfi (aka Magas). Roasted and fragrant chickpea flour (besan) is the base of this very popular Indian sweet or mithai. Learn how to make ordinary besan into an extra-ordinary dessert with this “I can’t believe how easy it is!” recipe.
Besan/Chickpea flour – 1 cup (approx 100 gm)
Warm Milk – 1 tbsp
Warm Ghee – 1 tsp
Ghee/ Clarified Butter – 1/2 cup (100 gm)
Sugar – 1/2 cup (110 gm)
Powdered Cardamom – 1/4 tsp
Sliced Almonds – for garnishing
Charoli – for garnishing
1. Mix the warm ghee (1 tsp) and milk(1 tbsp) – you can microwave both for 15 secs.
2. Mix Besan with ghee & milk mixture and keep aside for 5-6 minutes
3. Run the flour through medium holed sieve to give it texture.
4. In a non-stick pan, heat ghee and fry besan on low flame until light golden and fragrant. Stir continuously.
5. Switch off stove, add sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
6. Pour into a flat dish or pan and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
7. Garnish with Charoli and sliced almonds.
8. Allow it to cool completely before cutting into squares.
9. Keep in the refrigerator for 1 hour to make it easier to remove the pieces from the pan.
10. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Serve at room temperature.