You may or may not have heard about this amazing seed, native to Peru, called quinoa (pronounced – keenwa). Though most people confuse it for a grain, this nutty, yet neutral flavored complete protein source is a fabulous addition to simple Mung Daal to amp up the protein levels. Try this simple but hearty Quinoa Mung Dal recipe and see how delicious nutritious can taste.
Quinoa – 1/2 cup, washed
Mung Daal – 1/2 cup, washed
Water – 4 1/2 cups (divided)
Salt – to taste
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 Tbsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves, roughly crushed
Green Chilies – to taste, slit
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Cilantro – 10 sprigs, chopped for garnishing
Lime Juice – to taste
1. In a large pot, add Quinoa, Mung Daal, 4 cups Water, Salt and Ginger.
2. Cook uncovered on medium heat until Daal and Quinoa are tender but not completely mashed – approx 20-25 minutes. Skim foam off the top as needed.
3. In a skillet, heat Ghee.
4. Add Asafoetida, Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Garlic and Green Chilies. Mix and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add Tomatoes and cook for another 30-45 seconds.
6. Add mixture into the cooked Daal and Quinoa along with 1/2 cup water.
7. Bring to a rolling boil and remove from heat.
8. Garnish with Cilantro and Lime Juice and serve hot as a soup or with Rice or Chapati.