This simple quick and easy drink is perfect for the Winters and to tide you over the cold days. A typical “nanima-ke-nuske” (grandmother’s remedies) & I am here in Chicago right now and it is just perfect for this time of the year! All the ingredients for Winter Sheera have a lot of health benefits:
Ghee – considered the liquid gold,
Haldi/Turmeric – considered one of the healthiest spices
Besan – great for the winters and gives the body warmth
Almonds – a yummy and a healthy nut
Now fight the winter blues and stay warm as you cuddle with your hot cup of Winter Sheera.
DISCLAIMER: We are not doctors and this is not a prescription or a preventive.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Whole Almonds – 1/4 cup
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Haldi (Turmeric) – 1/8th to 1/4th tsp
Besan (Chick Pea Flour) – 1tbsp
Milk or Dairy Substitute – 1 cup
Sugar – to taste
1. Soak the Almonds overnight or put them in a bowl and heat in microwave for 2 minutes, allow to cool and them peel them.
2. Roughly grind them in a mortar-pestle or in a spice grinder. Set aside.
3. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, on medium heat, pour 1/2 teaspoon of Ghee and allow it to warm up.
4. Add in and cook the Turmeric Powder for 1 minute.
5. Add the Besan, reduce the flame and roast it until you get a roasted-besan aroma while stirring continuously.
6. Add Milk and the crushed Almonds, increase flame and allow the Milk to come to a boil.
7. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat again and allow mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes. Mix frequently.
8. Transfer and serve hot.
1. If you are truly having this drink to truly get the benefits of Turmeric, we suggest you slowly increase the amount of Turmeric upto 1 tsp.
2. Add in a couple of drops of vanilla if you are averse to Turmeric.
3. It can easily be made into a Vegan and a gluten-free drink.