If there’s one thing that comes to mind when you think of Indian appetizers, it has to be Samosa. Vegetable Samosas are triangular pastry crusts filled with a spicy potato mixture and deep fried until golden. They are usually served with Tamarind Chutney or Mint Chutney. Try this delicious samosa recipe for your next party or get-together.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Makes: 12 (approx)
For the crust:
All-purpose Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Salt – 3/4 tsp
Ajwain (Carrom Seeds) – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Lemon/Lime Juice – 1 Tbsp
Water – 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp
For the filling:
Potatoes – 1 1/2 lbs, boiled, peeled and cubed
Whole Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Cilantro (Coriander Leaves) – 10 sprigs, chopped
Ginger/Green Chili – 1 Tbsp, minced
Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Frozen Green Peas – 1/2 cup
1. Soak Coriander Seeds and Fennel Seeds in a few tablespoons of warm water and keep aside.
2. In a bowl, mix All-purpose flour, Salt and Ajwain.
3. Add 2 Tbsp Oil and mix until all the oil is well incorporated into the flour.
4. Add Lemon/Lime Juice and Water and knead into a smooth firm dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
5. To the boiled, cubed Potatoes, add Salt, Garam Masala, Dry Mango Powder, Sugar, Cilantro, Ginger/Green Chili, Lemon Juice, and the drained Coriander/Fennel Seeds. Mix well.
6. Heat Oil in a pan on medium heat.
7. Add Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida and Green Peas. Cook for 1-2 minutes until peas are tender.
8. Add Potato mixture and cook for a few minutes until heated through. Keep aside to cool to room temperature.
9. Divide Dough into small portions (slightly bigger than a golf ball).
10. Roll out each portion into a thin oval shape.
11. Cut the oval down the center to make two semi-ovals.
12. Lift one side of the flat edge and brush plain water on it. Lift the opposite side and overlap the two edges to form a cone shape. Press the seams gently to seal.
13. Stuff the Potato mixture into the cone. Brush plain water around the top edge and seal shut.
14. Deep fry until golden.
15. Serve hot with Tamarind Chutney, Mint Chutney or Ketchup.