Cold and rainy days…perfect climate for pakodas or bhajjis (fritters). Try this recipe for our version of mirchi bhajjis (stuffed green chili fritters). It’s the perfect tea time snack – super delicious and guaranteed to hit the spot!
Green Chilies of your choice (de-seeded if you like)
For the Batter:
Besan (Chickpea Flour) – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 2 Tbsp
Salt – to taste
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Red Chili Powder – optional
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
In a small bowl or dish, mix salt, chaat masala, amchur, ajwain. Stuff this mixture into the slit chilies.
Add spices(above, plus roasted cumin powder, cilantro) to boiled and mashed potato. Add tamarind paste to give it tartness. Stuff potato mixture into slit chilies.
Oil – for deep frying
1. Begin to heat Oil for deep frying.
2. Wash and slit Green Chilies lenghtwise. De-seed if necessary. Keep aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, add Chickpea Flour, Rice Flour, Salt, Asafoetida, Red Chili Powder and Baking Soda. Mix well.
4. Add 1 Tbsp Oil and mix.
5. Add water slowly and form a smooth, lump free batter.
6. Dip the stuffed chilies into the batter (one at at time), shake off excess and drop carefully into the hot oil.
7. Fry until golden on all sides and remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
8. Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.