So how many of you are having a Superbowl Party? Tired of the unhealthy fried Buffalo Wings? Looking to make something familiar but with an Indian kick? Try this delicious Oven Baked Masala Chicken Wings recipe and you’re sure to be the winner, no matter who wins the game!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Marination Time: At least 30 minutes to 1 hour
Baking Time: 1 hour
Chicken Wings and Drummets – 2 1/4 lb (1 Kg)
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 3/4 tsp
Oil – 1 Tbsp
All-Purposer Flour (Maida) – 1/4 cup
Spray Cooking Oil
For the Sauce:
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp, powdered
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1 Tbsp (approx 5 large cloves), minced
Green Chilies – to taste, minced
Tamarind Paste – 1/4 cup (less if using dark concentrated tamarind) or to taste
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste (use sparingly as sauce will reduce in volume)
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Kashmiri Mirch (or Paprika) – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Jaggery – 1 Tbsp (substitute sugar or brown sugar)
For the Dipping Sauce: (amounts can vary depending on how much sauce you need)
Sour Cream – smoothened
Salt – to taste
Cilantro – finely chopped
Mint Leaves – finely chopped
Mix all ingredients together.
1. Wash and pat dry Chicken Wings and Drummets with a paper towel.
2. Add Salt, Black Pepper and Garam Masala to the wings/drummets and coat well. Using a ziploc bag works well or you can use a mixing bowl and use your hands.
3. Drizzle 1 Tbsp Oil over the wings and mix well.
4. Cover and refrigerate the wings for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 400F/205C
6. Sprinkle All-Purpose Flour over the wings and toss to coat well.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and place the wings in a single layer on the baking sheet. If using foil, lightly coat it with oil.
8. Spray wings lightly with Spray Cooking Oil. Bake the wings for 30 minutes, flip them to the other side, and bake for another 30 minutes. Depending on the size of the wings, baking time may vary.
9. While the wings are baking, prepare the sauce.
10. Heat 1 Tbsp Oil in a saucepan.
11. Add powdered Fennel Seeds, Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Cook on low heat for 30 seconds.
12. Add Tamarind Paste and cook on medium heat until it comes to a boil.
14. Add Water, cover and cook until it comes to a boil.
15. Add Salt, Red Chili Powder, Kashmiri Mirch (or Paprika) and Garam Masala. Mix well and cook on medium until sauce is reduced to 1/2 the quantity.
16. Add Jaggery and allow it to melt.
17. Remove wings from the oven to a large mixing bowl.
18. Pour sauce over the wings and toss to coat evenly.
19. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.