Dosakai is strange! Why would we say that? Well, it is classified as a fruit but eaten and cooked like a vegetable! It is known as a Yellow Indian Cucumber – don’t think it looks or tastes like a cucumber! Yes, when we said strange, we meant strange. This Yellow Indian Cucumber is used in pickle, Curries, Daals, alongside Meats and Seafood. It has a tangy and a tart-ish flavor that makes it perfect for pickles. Enjoy this confused and delicious pickle 🙂
Prep Time: 10 min
Pickling Time: 1 day
Shelf Life: 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator
Dosakai – 1lb (approx 450g)
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seed Powder (Rai Powder)- 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)- 2 tbsp
Red Chili Powder – 2 tbsp or to taste
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Seeds) – 1/4 tsp (powdered)
Salt – 1 tbsp or to taste
Sesame Oil (Gingily Oil) – 1/4 cup
Citric Acid – 1/4 tsp OR Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
1. Wash the Dosakai, wipe and cut in half.
2. With the help of a spoon, clean out the seeds and the fibers from the center of the fruit.
3. Wipe down the center so there is less moisture.
4. Cut the Dosakai into bite-size pieces and wipe once again with a paper-towel.
5. Using a Mortar and Pestle, powder the Fenugreek Seeds.
6. Add in all the spices: Asafoetida, Mustard Seeds Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Fenugreek Powder, Salt and Citric Acid (Or Lemon Juice).
7. Mix well, add in the Oil and mix again.
8. Cover and keep on the counter overnight. Stir periodically.
9. Next day, stir again, do the taste test and transfer to a bottle and store in the refrigerator.
10. The pickle has a shelf life of about 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator.