A big time saver in the kitchen is to have ginger and garlic paste on hand and ready to use. Unfortunately, the store bought ones tend to have a lot of preservatives, giving them a funny aftertaste and smell. Try this quick recipe to make your own ginger and garlic paste at home – all natural and no preservatives. The best part…it has a shelf life of over 2 months in the refrigerator!
Ginger – 1 cup, chopped
Garlic – 1 cup, peeled
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 1/3 cup
1. Heat Oil in a small pan until it’s almost smoking. Remove from heat and let it cool.
2. In a blender, add Ginger, Garlic and Salt.
3. Grind into a smooth paste using the cooled Oil to help the grinding process. Stop grinding and push down the sides occasionally. The Oil will emulsify and turn white.
4. Store ginger & garlic paste in an air tight glass jar in the refrigerator.
1. Be sure ginger and garlic are completely dry before grinding.
2. Storage jar must be clean and dry.
3. When ready to use, do not keep jar out on the counter top for a long time. Take what you need and place the jar back into the fridge quickly. This will extend the shelf life of the paste.