If you want to try an Indian chicken recipe without the long list of ingredients, this is the perfect choice! With some basic whole spices and fragrant curry leaves, whip up delicious gravy-less chicken that goes well with any flat bread.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: approx 40 minutes
Chicken – 2 1/2 lbs (skinless, boneless thighs)
Oil – 3 Tbsp
Cinnamon Stick – 2″ piece
Cloves – 5
Whole Black Peppercorn – 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf – 1 large
Black Cardamom – 1
Fennel Seeds – 1 Tbsp
Curry Leaves – 5 large sprigs
Onions – 2 1/2 large, sliced
Ginger – 2 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 2 Tbsp, minced
Green Chilies – to taste, minced
Salt – to taste
1. Heat Oil in a large pan.
2. Add whole spices (except Fennel Seeds) and stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add Fennel Seeds and stir for another 30 seconds.
4. Add Curry Leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add Onions and a little salt and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
6. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilies. Stir frequently and cook until onions caramelize (approx 12-15 minutes).
7. Add Chicken and Salt. Mix well, cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink on the inside (approx 15 minutes). Stir frequently.
8. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the lid and continue to cook until the chicken is lightly browned and oil starts to release (approx 10 minutes).
9. Serve hot with parotta, paratha, roti, dosa, appam, etc.