Chicken Doh Pyaza is traditionally a very long and tedious recipe but this great short and easy version makes it possible in our busy lives. It is absolutely delicious and one of my family’s favorites.
Onions – 4 (Medium size)
Chicken –2 lbs (bite size pieces)
Garlic –3 cloves
Ginger– 2 tbsp
Yogurt –2 cups
Green Chilies – optional
Salt – to taste
Garam Masala – 1 heaping tsp
Coriander Powder –1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Red chili Powder – to taste/optional
Tomatoes – 2 large
Fresh Cilantro – 3 sprigs
- Prep by chopping the following finely: 2 Onions, Green Chilies, Ginger and Garlic.
- In a pressure cooker, add the following: chopped Onions, washed Meat, Garlic, Ginger, beaten Yogurt, Green Chilies, Salt, Garam Masala, Coriander, Cumin and Red Chili Powders.
- Add in 1-cup water and mix well.
- Pressure cook on high heat for 2 whistles.
- After pressure is gone, open cooker and add the rest of the Onions (sliced) and the Tomatoes (chopped).
- Cook uncovered on medium heat till the meat is done (approximately 10 mins). Cook longer if you like thicker gravy.
- Garnish with chopped Cilantro and serve.
- Serves 4-6
1. Chicken tends to cook really fast so if you do like thick gravy – take out the chicken pieces, thicken the gravy and then add the chicken back in.
2. For a variation to this recipe, use Goat or Beef instead of Chicken. See Mutton Doh Pyaza.