So, are you ready for dessert yet? There is no better way to end your Thai meal than Sticky Rice with Mango (aka Thai Sweet Rice). With this recipe and very few ingredients, you can create a heavenly dessert that will put a smile on everyone’s face.
Prep Time: 4 to 5 hours soaking time
Cook Time: 30 mins
Rest Time: 25-30 mins
Thai Sweet or Sticky Rice – 2 cups
Coconut Milk – 14 oz can, divided
Sugar – 1 Cup plus 1 Tbsp
Corn Starch – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 1 to 2 Tbsp (dry roasted)
Ripe Mango – 1, sliced
1. Wash Thai Sweet Rice very well and soak for 4-5 hours.
2. Drain off water and steam the rice wrapped in muslin or cheese cloth for 30 minutes. Steamer basket of rice cooker works well. 3. Half way through cooking process (15 mins), gently mix the rice to ensure even cooking.
4. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Rice should be sticky and translucent.
5. While rice is cooking, mix together 1/2 can of coconut milk, 1 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix well and keep aside.
6. In a small skillet (with the stove off), mix together 1/2 can of coconut milk, 1/2 tsp corn starch, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp sugar.
7. Once its mixed well, turn on the stove to low-medium and continuously stir while the sauce thickens (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and keep aside.
8. Once the rice is fully cooked, transfer it to a ceramic bowl and stir in the 1st coconut milk/sugar/salt mixture. Cover the bowl and allow it to rest for 25 minutes.
9. To plate, lightly coat a 1/2 cup measure cup or small bowl with the 2nd cooked sauce.
10. Fill the measuring cup with the sticky rice and press gently to form a mould.
11. Tap the rice out onto a serving plate and add sliced mangoes to the side.
12. Pour the 2nd cooked sauce over the rice (approx 2 Tbsp per serving or to taste).
13. Sprinkle a little toasted sesame seeds over the top for garnishing.
14. Enjoy it warm.