Impossible burgers are the rage right now, but how about a flavorful burger that’s good for you and you can make it at home? This Black Bean Burger recipe is so yummy that you may be be looking for excuses to make it again and again. The subtle flavors along with healthy ingredients just adds to the charm. Black Beans have an amazing flavor, not to mention that they are hearty and substantial. Make it a meal or a snack and you have a winner!
Ingredients: (makes approx 6 large patties)
For the Patty:
Black Beans – 1, 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
Onions – 1/2 cup, chopped
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, chopped
Mushrooms – 1/2 cup, chopped
Bell Pepper/ Capsicum – 1/2 cup, chopped
Taco Seasoning – 1 tbsp or to taste
Shredded Carrots – 1/2 cup
Whole Wheat or Whole Grain Bread – 1 slice
Cooked Brown Rice – 1 cup
Frozen Corn – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Pickled Jalapenos – to taste (optional)
Soy Granules – 1/2 cup
Instant Oats – 1 cup
Cilantro – 5 springs, finely chopped
Eggs – 2, lightly beaten
Panko Bread crumbs for coating
For the Burger:
1. In a pan, heat up 1 tbsp of Olive Oil.
2. Once hot, add in the Onions and Garlic and allow them to caramelize a little.
3. Next add in the Mushrooms and let the moisture evaporate.
4. Add in the Bell Pepper and cook for a little bit (1-2 min)
5. Add in Taco Seasoning and allow it to coat the vegetables and turn off the stove.
6. Once the stove has been turned off, add in the finely shredded Carrots and mix well.
7. Set the pan aside and allow it to cool down.
8. In a Food Processor, break up a slice of bread into big chunks.
9. Pulse the Food processor about 3-4 times till the bread crumbles.
10. In the Food Processor, add Cooked Brown Rice, Corn, Cooked Vegetables, Salt, Pickled Jalapenos,
11. Pulse about 6-7 times.
12. Add in 3/4 of the can of Black Beans.
13. Pulse for another 3-4 times till everything is mixed well.
14. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
15. Add in the Soy Granules, Instant Oats, Cilantro & the balance of the Balck Beans.
16. Mix gently but well.
17. Good time to do taste test before adding in Eggs.
18. Add in the eggs and mix well gently.
19. Put the mixture in the fridge and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
20. In a bowl, pour out some bread crumbs for coating the burgers.
21. Get a skillet heating up on medium heat with a tsp of Oil.
22. Divide up the mixture into equal portions (according to the number needed and the size required)
23. Take a portion and start rolling and making a patty.
24. Dip into the Panko Bread Crumbs and coat them well.
25. Once the skillet is hot, place gently, press the patty down if it is too thick and move it around so it gets coated in the Oil.
26. Allow it to cook on the bottom side.
27. Drizzle a little Oil on the top and spread it and flip very gently.
28. Allow it to cook on the flip side as well.
29. Once done, place on a toasted Bun.
30. Garnish with Sour Cream and Salsa and serve.