Having found my Grand Mother’s recipe book from mid last century, the first thing we tried out was these Macaroons! They were just amazing – the crisp exterior and the soft interior, what a perfect balance. What we loved was the simplicity of the recipe and the availability of the ingredients. Enjoy these delicious small wonders.
Prep Time: 10 min
Bake Time: 12-15 min
Makes: 10-15 Macaroons (depending on size)
Dry Shredded Coconut – 1/2 cup
Chopped Walnuts – 1/2 cup
Crushed Cornflakes – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Egg White of 1 Large Egg
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (approx 180 degrees C)
2. Separate the White from the Yolk (yellow) of a large Egg.
3. Place the White in a bowl.
4. Beat the White for about 30 seconds with an electric mixer till the whites get frothy.
5. Add in the Sugar and beat again till the Sugar incorporates into the White.
6. Fold in the balance of the ingredients – Walnuts, Cornflakes and Coconut.
7. Mix in till incorporated well. Do not over mix.
8. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Or else lightly oil or butter the tray.
9. Spoon the batter into desired size mounds (do not flatten) and spread on the baking tray.
10. Place the tray in the center of the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, depending on the size of the Macaroons.
11. Once baked,allow them to rest for 3-5 min and transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to cool for another 10-15 min.
12. Enjoy them or store them in an air-tight container.