Many vegetarians and vegans often miss out on holiday cakes because they are made with eggs. Here is a wonderfully simple recipe for an Eggless Chocolate Cake submitted by Ekta, one of our viewers. You won’t even miss the eggs! It is also great for those watching their cholesterol. It’s perfect for the holidays…enjoy!
All-Purpose Flour – 1.5 cups
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 3 Tbsp, sifted
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 cup
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 5 Tbsp
White Vinegar – 1 Tbsp
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
Cold Water – 1 cup
- In a mixing bowl, add Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Soda, Sugar and Salt. Mix well.
- Add in Oil, Vinegar, Vanilla Extract and Water.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together with a hand blender until there are no more lumps.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch by 9 inch baking pan, two inches deep.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (approx 180 degrees C) for about half an hour. Poke a toothpick or fork into the center. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Remove pan from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes before flipping it over onto a platter.
- Cool completely if you want to apply frosting, else serve with a dollop of whipped cream or chocolate sauce.
1. For a variation, we used Mango pulp (10tbsp) instead of the cocoa and vanilla essence….and it was just divine! Cooking time :33 minutes.