After the holiday season, we are always striving for something simple and yet flavorful. Here is a wonderful twist on the Mung Daal, a staple that is light and easy to digest. The Dill Leaves provide a wonderful freshness to the taste and the look of the Mung Daal. Enjoy this Moong Dal with Dill Leaves and start the year right.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20-25 min
Mung Daal – 1 cup
Dill Leaves – a handful, chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder/Haldi – 1/8th tsp
Asofoetida/Hing – 1/8th tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Garlic – 1 tbsp, chopped
Green Chillies – to taste, chopped
Salt – to taste
Water – 4 cups
Lime Juice – for garnish
1. Chop the Dill Leaves. Keep aside.
2. Wash and drain the Mung Daal and keep aside.
3. On medium heat in a pan, heat the Oil and add in the Cumin Seeds. Allow them to sizzle.
4. Add in the Asofoetida, Turmeric Powder and the Curry Leaves. Mix
5. Add in the Garlic and the Green Chillies. Cook for 30 seconds.
6. Pour in the drained Mung Daal, Water, Dill Leaves and Salt. Mix.
7. Stir occasionally and if any foam forms, mix it in.
8. Once cooked, turn off the flame and transfer the Daal.
9. Squeeze some fresh Lime Juice as a garnish and serve with Chapatis or Rice.
1. Love Dill? Add in more!
2. Going to serve later? Add additional water and bring to a boil as the Daal tends to absorb the liquid.