This Spinach Salad dressing is perfect for barbecues, picnics or potlucks. The surprise element is the crunchy, caramelized almonds that balance out the taste and texture of the spinach. The mandarin Oranges in this spinach salad not only provide color but also that fresh summer appeal…so what are you waiting for, dig in!
Ingredients for the dressing:
Olive Oil – 2 Tbsp
Red Wine Vinegar – 1 Tbsp
Apple Sauce – 3 Tbsp
Onion – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
Dry Mustard Powder – 1/4 tsp
Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp
Red Chili Flakes – 1/4 tsp
Celery Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
Orange Zest – 1/4 tsp
1. Mix all of the above ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Add Mandarin Oranges and Caramelized Almonds to the Spinach or Greens.
3. Add in the Dressing right before serving.
Ingredients for Caramelizing Almonds:
Sliced Almonds: 1 heaping tbsp
Sugar: 1 tbsp
1. Put the Sugar in a heavy bottomed pan and heat on medium heat.
2. Once the Sugar starts melting, add in the Almonds.
3. Keep mixing till the sugar is all melted and the Almonds change color to light golden.
4. Take it off the heat and transfer the Almonds into a plate.
5. Separate the Almonds to ensure that they don’t form a clump.
6. Allow them to cool down before using them or storing them.