Meethe Chawal which literally translastes as Sweet Rice aka Gur (jaggery) Chawal (Rice) is very simple recipe which can be served as a snack or as a dessert. It is very easy and quick to make and really enjoyed by kids.
Prep time: 20 minutes (including soaking time)
Cook Time: 20 min
Serves – 6
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Hot Water – 2 cups
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Ghee/ Clarified Butter – 1.5 tbsp
Cashews – 1 tbsp
Golden Raisins – 1 tbsp
Saffron – a pinch
Orange Zest – 1/2 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Add the Jaggery to the hot Water, mix well and allow it to dilute with the water.
2. In a small skhillet, heat Ghee on medium heat.
3. Once hot, add in the Cashews and the Golden Raisins.
4. All the Cashews to get a little color and the Raisins plump up.
5. Pour it into the rice cooker.
6. Add the following to the rice cooker: washed, soaked and drained Rice, Saffron, Orange Zest.
7. Use a seive, strain the jaggery water to the rice cooker.
8. Mix well and cook as per the rice cooker instructions.
9. Once done, fluff with a fork and remove the rice from the cooker.
10. Top with Cardamom Powder and serve hot.
1. You can make this dish in the pressure cooker or stove top as well.
2. For Orange Zest – take an orange and fine grate the orange part of the peel.
3. Great way of powdering the jaggery is to use a grater.