The western world has come to rely on curry powder as a convenient one-stop shop in the spice cabinet. With some of the most prominent Indian spices present, curry powder delivers Indian flavor without the fuss. Try this homemade curry powder recipe and experience the aroma and flavor of freshly roasted and ground spices!
Coriander Seeds – 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ginger Powder – 1 tsp
1. Dry roast whole seeds in a heavy bottomed pan on low heat until lightly golden and fragrant (approximately 10 minutes). Stir continuously.
2. Transfer seeds to a plate and allow them to cool completely.
3. Grind seeds to a fine powder using a spice/coffee grinder.
4. Add remaining powdered spices and mix well.
5. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months (use within one month for optimal flavor).
Try this Curry Powder recipe with: Chicken Curry in a Hurry and Chicken Curry with Spinach. For vegetarians, you can replace the chicken with paneer. You could even use it in Egg Curry or use it to spice up marinades for meat or vegetables.