A perfect one-pot meal and let’s not forget that it’s not just substantial but it’s healthy as well. We consider Chili perfect for a game but who says that it has to be limited to that…enjoy this wholesome Vegetarian Chili any time of the year, with or without the TV on! This is also a perfect dish to made in the crock pot. Thank you so much Suvarna, for this awesome recipe, we just love it!
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Serves – 5-6
Black Beans – 2/3 cup
Kidney Beans – 2/3 cup
Pinto Beans – 2/3 cup
Water – 4 cups
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1″ pc.
Cloves – 4, powdered
Onion – 1 large, chopped
Ginger – 1 Tbsp, minced
Garlic – 8 large cloves, chopped
Jalapenos or Green Chillies – to taste, chopped
Mushrooms – 5-6, chopped (optional)
Corn – 1 cup
Bell Pepper – 1, chopped
Celery – 1 stalk, chopped
Carrots – 1 large, chopped
Zucchini – 1 medium, chopped
Tomatoes – 2 large, pureed
Stewed Tomatoes – 1 can
Vegetable Broth – 1 cup or as needed
Soy Nuggets – 1 cup, cooked per directions (optional)
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Cilantro (Coriander) – 10 sprigs, chopped
1. For this Chili, you will need to wash and soak overnight: Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Pinto Beans.
2. Drain and add water and Salt and Pressure Cook.
3. Allow the Pressure Cooker to whistle 4 times, lower the flame and simmer for 30 min.
4. Allow the pressure to release on it’s own.
5. In a Pot, heat Oil and add in Bay Leaf and Cinnamon Stick.
6. Powder 4 Cloves and add to the Oil.
7. Add in Onions, Ginger, Garlic and Jalapenos. Add a little Salt to speed up the cooking process.
8. Cook till the Onions get translucent.
9. Add in the Vegetables: Mushrooms, Corn, Bell Pepper, Celery, Carrots and Zucchini.
10. Mix and make sure all the vegetables are coated with Oil.
11. Add in the boiled Soy Nuggets (squeeze them well before adding them to the pot).
12. Mix and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
13. Next add in the pureed Tomatoes (add a can of crushed tomato instead if you don’t have fresh).
14. Add in the Stewed Tomatoes (we used Mexican, use any) and the Cooked Beans (along with the water that they cooked in) and the Cilantro.
15. Increase the heat/flame and add in Cumin Powder and Garam Masala.
16. Also add in the Stock (as needed) and mix well.
17. Check on the Salt, Spices and Seasonings and cover and cook for 30 min.
18. Keep stirring frequently and checking on the moisture level, add more if needed.
19. Once it’s all looks well incorporated, turn off the flame and it’s ready to serve.
1. Add in additional vegetables and items to your needs like: paneer or tofu.
2. To make Frito Pie: crush some Fritos and layer it in a bowl, add a layer of Chili and then top with shredded Cheese (and / or Salsa, Onions, or anything else that makes you happy)