Pizzas come in all different crust styles. Try this simple recipe for homemade Pan Pizza (Deep Dish Pizza, Thick Crust Pizza) with a soft, thick and bread-like crust. It makes a deliciously filling meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Rise Time: 1 hour
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Serves – 2
Luke Warm Water – 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp
Rapid Rise Yeast – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Instant Non-Fat Dry Milk (Milk Powder) – 1 Tbsp
Salt – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
All-purpose Flour – 1 cup plus additional for rolling
Olive Oil – 4 tsp, divided
Butter – 1-2 tsp
Note: Water and Milk Powder can be substituted with 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp of 1% milk.
1. Dissolve Yeast and Sugar into Warm Water. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. Dissolve Milk Powder and Salt into the yeast mixture.
3. Pour yeast mixture into All-purpose flour a little at a time to form a soft dough. Knead for 3-4 minutes.
4. Pour 2 tsp Olive Oil onto dough and knead again for 4-5 minutes.
5. Lightly flour a rolling surface and roll out dough into a 10 inch disc.
6. Coat a 9 inch cake pan with 2 tsp Olive Oil and place rolled dough into it, pressing down the sides.
7. Cover with a plate or kitchen towel and place the dough to rise in a warm place for 1 hour (warm oven to 150 F/65 C and turn off).
8. Preheat oven to 425F/218C
9. Bake the crust for 5-7 minutes until light golden.
10. Lightly butter the edges of the crust.
11. Top with your choice of pizza sauce, cheese and toppings (mozzarella cheese, olives, onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, jalapenos, pepperoni, etc).
12. Bake at 425F/218C for 7-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted.