Take your chocolate cake, vanilla cake or marble cake to the next level with this smooth and rich chocolate frosting (icing) recipe. A few ingredients and a few minutes will leave you wondering why you’ve been using store bought frosting.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes + few hours cooling time
Makes enough frosting for a 9″x13″ cake or 9″ double layered round cake
Heavy Whipping Cream – 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp
Sour Cream – 2 Tbsp
Instant Coffee – 1/2 tsp
Unsalted Butter – 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick)
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Salt – pinch
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together Heavy Whipping Cream, Sour Cream and Instant Coffee. Keep aside.
2. In a sauce pan, melt Butter on medium heat.
3. While continuously stirring, add Sugar, Salt and Cocoa Powder. Mixture should be thick and crumbly.
4. Slowly add Whipping Cream mixture and keep stirring until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Do not boil.
5. Turn off the stove and add Vanilla Extract. Mix well.
6. Remove frosting into a different bowl and allow to cool completely. It may be kept in the fridge for faster cooling.
7. Frost completely cooled cakes with completely cooled frosting.
8. Any remaining frosting can be stored in the fridge in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week.