A classic Bread Pudding for the holidays, now what more can the soul ask for? Chef Arturo Salome was kind enough to share his recipe with us and we can’t thank him enough – what we love is that it is so easy to make and perfect for any party…
Also, don’t forget the Homemade Caramel Sauce – to complete the perfect dessert! Happy Holidays 🙂
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 45-50 minutes
Cooling Time: 10 minutes
Day old Buns/Rolls – 12 oz (we used 6 Hoagie Rolls)
Large Eggs – 7
Sugar – 1 cup
Cinnamon Powder – 3/4 teaspoon
Vanilla – 2 teaspoons
Heavy Cream – 1 cup
Melted Butter – 1 stick (4oz/8 tablespoons)
Water – 1.5 – 2 cups (depending on the dryness of the bread)
Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C
1. Cut the Bread into large cubes and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, break the eggs and whisk them.
3. Add in Sugar, Cinnamon Powder, Vanilla, Heavy Cream, Butter and Water (we needed 1.5 Cups).
4. Mix and incorporate well.
5. Mix in the Cubed Bread into the Egg Mixture till most of the Egg Mixture is absorbed by the Bread.
6. If the Bread feels dry, add the balance of the Water and mix well.
7. Grease a 9X13 inch with Oil or Butter. Alternatively, line the pan with parchment paper.
8. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and level the mixture.
9. Transfer to the middle of the over and allow it to cook for 45 minutes.
10. Give it a toothpick test and if it is still not done, cook for another 5-10 minutes.
11. Once out of the Oven, allow it to stand for 10 minutes, letting the Eggs cook all the way through.
12. Cut and serve warm with some Homemade Caramel Sauce.
1. Add in Dry Fruits and Nuts for additional texture, right before pouring the mixture into the making dish.
2. This is a great make ahead for parties or take along for potlucks.
3. Made too much? Freeze the leftovers for another day!
4. Don’t have an oven, here’s how to make it: Here is what we’d do: You can make it in the Pressure Cooker by using the steaming method – no whistle/weight, adequate water and then a stand and then a dish that fits into the PC. Once there is a steady steam, lower the heat and allow it to cook for about 15-20 minutes. Open the PC very carefully and remove the pan – allow it to rest and the eggs will continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes. It’s ready to serve.
Link to Homemade Caramel Sauce: