1 Cup rice
Juice of 1 Lemon (medium size)
1 Carrot finely shredded/grated
1 Cup blanched and cut green beans
1 Cup frozen green peas (thawed and blanched)
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 Tsp sugar
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
1 Tsp mustard seeds
1 Tsp urad dal (split gram)
1 Tsp chana dal
1 Tsp peanuts (optional)
10 pieces broken cashew nuts (optional)
Some raisins (golden raisins, optional)
1 green chilli slit (optional)
2 whole red chillies broken into halves
Pinch of hing
2 Tsp turmeric powder
Few curry leaves
1. Cook rice till done. The rice should not be sticky. Set aside to cool a little.
2. Take sesame oil in a pan and heat.
3. Once hot add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
4. Now add all the seasonings above in the following order: peanuts, cashew nuts,chana dal,urad dal,sesame seeds,raisins (wait till they puff up a little).
5. Put them one by one slowly till each one fries to light golden brown (on medium heat). Add green chillies, red chilies, curry leaves and hing.
6. Then add turmeric powder and the finely shredded carrots and cook for 2 minutes, sprinkle little water if needed.
7. Mix in the green peas and green beans and little salt. Turn off heat.
8. Add rice, sugar and more salt to taste, lemon juice and mix slowly but well making sure the rice is all yellow in colour. Garnish with cilantro.
The healthy lemon rice is all ready!
Serve with some cucumber raita.
ShowMeTheCurry Notes: Sounds really good…Vaisali, thanks for sharing.