A beautiful Daal with a soothing, homey feel to it that is sure to satisfy the palate and the soul. Simple, easy and delicious Urad Daal can also be made as easyly on the stove-top in a sauce pan or in a pressure cooker. Enjoy this Gujarati roadside dhabba dish.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 4 Hours
Urad Daal – 1 cup
Water – 6 cups
Salt – to taste
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp or to taste
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Ghee – 1/2 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilies – 2 or to taste
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Curry Leaves – few leaves
Green Chillies – slit, to taste
Ginger – 1/2 tbsp, minced
Garlic – 1/2 tbsp, minced
Cilantro – for garnish
1. Wash the Urad Daal under the tap till the water runs clear.
2. In the Slow Cooker combine the Daal and the Water.
3. Give the daal a mix, cover and cook on high for 4 hours .
4. After the 4 hours, open, mix and add Salt and Lemon/Lime Juice and mix.
5. To work on the seasoning, heat Oil & Ghee in a skillet.
6. Add in the Cumin Seeds and allow them to sizzle.
7. Add in the Dry Red Chillies, Asafoetida, Curry Leaves, Green Chillies, Ginger & Garlic. Cook for a minute.
8. Add the seasoning to the Daal, add in fresh chopped Cilantro and it’s ready to serve.
9. Enjoy with Chapatis, Rice or by itself, as a soup.
Pressure Cooker Method:
1. Cook Daal with the Water and allow the Pressure Cooker to whistle 1 time.
2. Turn the flame off and allow the pressure to go down by itself.
3. Open the Cooker follow the same steps mentioned above.
1. Cook Water and Daal in a Saucepan, covered, till the Daal is cooked.
2. Follow the same steps as the Slow-Cooker Method.