If you are looking for an easy bread recipe that doesn’t require too many ingredients or fancy gadgets, this recipe for Focaccia is the one for you. This rustic Italian bread is perfect as an appetizer served with dipping oil, a side to your favorite pasta dish or as delicious sandwich bread. Focaccia — very versatile, very delicious!
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 5 cups
Warm Water – 1 2/3 cups
Rapid Rise Yeast – 1 packet (approx 2 tsp)
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt – 2 1/2 tsp
Olive Oil – 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp for coating plus more for coating bottom of pan
Rosemary – 1 Tbsp (Fresh, chopped) or 1 tsp (Dried)
Onion – 1/4 small, sliced finely
Sea Salt/Kosher Salt – to taste
1. In the food processor bowl (or mixing bowl if kneading by hand), mix Warm Water, Yeast and Sugar. Cover and keep for 5-10 mins until foamy.
2. Add Salt, Olive Oil and 4 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour (more can be added as needed).
3. Pulse the food processor until the dough comes together. Run the food processor for 1 minute. Add more flour (1/4 cup at at time) as needed until dough forms.
4. Knead dough on a floured work surface or large bowl for 1 minute or until a smooth ball forms.
5. Generously drizzle Olive Oil to coat the bottom of a 15×10 inch baking pan.
6. Place dough ball in pan and press into the bottom into an even rectangle shape.
7. Cover with kitchen towel and keep in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise.
Preheat Oven to 425F/218C
8. With your finger, gently make indentations one inch apart all over the dough.
9. In a small bowl, mix 2-3 Tbsp of Olive Oil with Rosemary and sliced Onions.
10. Spread the Oil mixture over the top of the risen dough. Arrange Onions/Rosemary evenly over the top.
11. Bake Focaccia for 20 mins at 425F/218C (Keep an eye on it towards the end – all ovens are different).
12. Enjoy hot and store unused portion in an airtight container in the fridge.