Jackfruit or Kathal (in Hindi) can be a very intimidating fruit and one that certainly piques curiosity. It can be had raw, as a in a savory dish or sweet in it’s ripe form. The texture is close to meat and hence known as Vegetarian’s meat. Here we have made Kathal Kebab, a recipe similar to Shammi Kebab, perfect for those vegetarian moments. Enjoy these delicious kebabs and remember to serve them with a side of Green Mint Chutney.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min + cooling time
Makes: 25-30 pieces
Jackfruit – 500gm / 1 lb / 2 cans (250gm each), peeled, drained & cubed
Channa Dal – 1/2 cup, washed and drained
Onions – 1/2 of a large one, roughly chopped
Garlic Cloves – 6
Ginger – approx 2 tbsp, roughly chopped
Green Chillies – to taste
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Dry Methi (Fenugreek) leaves – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Dry Mint Leaves – 1 tbsp
Fresh Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
Egg – 1 (or boiled potato – mashed)
Oil – for pan-frying
Panko Breadcrumbs – for coating
1. Prep the Jackfruit and put into a pressure cooker.
2. Also add in Channa Dal, Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies, Garam Masala, Salt, Black Peppercorns, Dry Methi Leaves and Water.
3. Mix well, close pressure cooker and allow it to whistle once on med-high flame, reduce flame to low and cook for 25-30 minutes. Allow the pressure to go down by itself.
4. Once the pressure has gone down, open and stir and allow the mixture to cool down a bit before food-processing it.
5. Transfer to the food-processor, saving 1/4 of the mixture and Dry Mint Leaves.
6. Blend until it’s an even consistency. May need to push down and help blend well.
7. Once done, add in the mixture that we saved to the food-processor and pulse a few times.
8. Transfer into a bowl and add Fresh Lime Juice.
9. Check seasonings and Salt. Break an Egg and mix well.
10. Heat a skillet with a few teaspoons of Oil to pan fry.
11. In a plate, put some Panko. Make flat round kebabs of the mixture and coat it in the Panko bread crumbs.
12. Put the Kebabs on the hot skillet and cook on both sides. You may need to drizzle additional Oil and cook.
13. Once both sides are light golden brown, take off the skillet and serve hot with chutney.
1. They are great make ahead and re-heat in the oven or skillet for parties.
2. Great to make a big batch and freeze for later use.