Vegetable Korma is a very mild yet flavorful Mughlai dish. Korma is traditionally meat or vegetables cooked with onions in a creamy yogurt sauce. Try this recipe for a healthy version of the well known favorite.
Prep Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook Time: approx 30 minutes
Oil – 2 Tbsp
Broken Cashew Pieces – 2 Tbsp
Golden Raisins – 1 Tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Green Cardamom – 3
Whole Cloves – 7
White (or Black) Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
Broken Cashews – 1/4 cup
Onions – 2 medium, finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Garlic – 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
Ginger – 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Cumin Powder – 1/2 Tbsp
Coriander Powder – 1 Tbsp
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Evaporated Milk – 5 oz can
Yogurt – 1/2 cup, well beaten
Paneer – approx 7 oz, cubed
Tomato – 1 large, cubed
Carrots – 2 (approx 1 cup), cubed
Cauliflower – 2 cups, cut to bite size florets
Potatoes – 2 medium, cubed
Frozen Green Peas – 1 cup
Green Beans – 1 cup, cut to 1 inch pieces
Cilantro Leaves – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Water – approx 2 cups
1. Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat.
2. Fry Cashews (2 Tbsp) and Raisins until golden brown. Remove onto a plate draining as much Oil as possible back into the pan.
3. In the same Oil, add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Whole Cloves and Peppercorns. Roast for few seconds.
4. Add 1/4 cup Cashew pieces and roast until golden.
5. Add Onions, Turmeric Powder and a little Salt. Mix, cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring in between.
6. While Onions are cooking…
Add Cauliflower, Green Peas, Carrots, a little Salt, 1/2 cup water in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes, stir and an additional 2 minutes. Remove veggies and water into a separate bowl.
7. Add Ginger, Green Chilies and Garlic to the Onions and cook for 2-3 additional minutes or until golden brown. Turn off stove and allow mixture to cool.
8. In the same microwave safe bowl as above, add Potatoes and a little salt and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave for 3 minutes, stir and an additional 2 minutes. Remove potatoes and water and add to the other cooked veggies.
9. In the same microwave safe bowl, add Green Beans and a little salt and mix. Add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 3 minutes, stir and an additional 2 minutes.
10. Grind cooled Onion mixture into a fine paste with approx 1/4 cup water (or more if necessary).
11. Return onion paste back to pan and cook until the Oil separates. Stir continuously.
12. Add in Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder and Red Chili Powder. Add 1/4 cup water to help the dry spices mix well.
13. Add cubed Paneer and mix.
14. Add Tomatoes, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
15. Add Evaporated Milk and mix.
16. Reduce heat to low and add beaten yogurt slowly while mixing. Allow mixture to come to a boil.
17. Add cooked vegetables with the water from cooking. Mix well. Add additional water to get to your desired consistency. Cook for 5 minutes.
18. Add in Cilantro and mix well.
19. Garnish with roasted cashews and raisins from before.
20. Serve hot with chapati, naan, or rice.