Dum Aloo is a popular dish from the region of Kashmir in India. Have you ever been in the mood for delicious Kashmiri Dum Aloo but been discouraged by all the deep frying? Well, try this recipe for a healthy version of Dum Aloo that skips frying all together. The best part…you won’t be able to tell the difference.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Baby Potatoes – 2 lbs (1kg), boiled and peeled
Oil – 2 Tbsp (divided)
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Bay Leaf – 1
Whole Cloves – 6
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Ginger – 2 tsp, minced
Salt – to taste
Red Chili Powder – to taste
Roasted Aniseed Powder (Star Anise) – 1 tsp
Roasted Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Paprika – 1 Tbsp
Yogurt – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
Cilantro and Ginger (Julienned, cut into matchsticks) – for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 C).
2. Place boiled and peeled baby potatoes on a foil lined baking tray and coat with 1 Tbsp of Oil.
3. Bake potatoes for approx 30 minutes or until golden.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp Oil in a pan.
5. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add Asafoetida and Ginger and mix. Reduce heat to low.
7. Combine Yogurt and Water (mix well) and slowly add to the pan while constantly stirring.
8. Add Paprika, Red Chili Powder, Salt, Aniseed Powder and Coriander Powder. Mix well.
9. With a kitchen knife, make small pokes into the potatoes so that they can absorb the gravy.
10. Add the potatoes to the pan, mix well, cover and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Stir in between.
11. Uncover the pan and continue cooking the potatoes until most of the liquid is absorbed by the potatoes. Stir often.
12. Garnish with cilantro and julienned ginger and serve hot.