I always keep some cabbage handy because it has a long shelf life. It’s great for those days when I can’t think of anything else to make.
Cabbage – 4 cups finely chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
Channa daal – 1 tbsp
Urad daal – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida (Hing) – 1 pinch
Turmeric (Haldi) – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Ginger – ½ tsp grated
Red chili [whole] – 1 or 2, to taste
Green chili – thinly sliced, to taste
Salt – to taste
Fresh shredded coconut – to taste
Cilantro – 5 sprigs chopped
- Heat Oil on a medium flame in a non-stick pan (similar to a wok).
- Add Mustard Seeds and cover for a few seconds to let them sputter.
- Add Channa and Urad Daal – allow them to turn light golden brown.
- Add Asafoetida, Turmeric, Red Chili, Curry Leaves, Ginger, and Green Chili(preferably in that order).
- Add Cabbage and mix well.
- Allow it to cook uncovered – stirring frequently.
- Add Salt to taste and mix well.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh grated coconut and cilantro.
- Serves 4
- To save time, use a food processor to shred the cabbage.
- Cook cabbage uncovered and add salt only in the end or the cabbage will become soggy.
- Try adding green peas or shredded carrots along with the cabbage for a change.