Though many people refer to a variety of beans as Lentils, lentils are actually small, round and flat legumes with a dark brown husk. Lentil Soup (or Masoor Daal) is hearty, homey and satisfying. Packed with protein and fiber, this Lentil Soup recipe makes a healthy and filling lunch. Pair it with rice or chapati and you have a complete dinner.
Whole Lentil – 1 cup
Water – 3 cups
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely grated
Green Chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp or to taste
Salt – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Lemon Juice – to taste
Cilantro/Coriander Leaves – 5 sprigs, chopped for garnishing
1. Wash Lentil in running water until water runs clear. Soak for approx 1 hour. Drain water.
2. Add Lentil and 3 cups Water in a pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
3. Heat Oil in a pan.
4. Add Mustard Seeds and Cumin Seeds and allow them to splutter.
5. Add Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida, Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Green Chilies – mix well and cook until onions turn translucent and light brown.
6. Add Tomato – mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Red Chili Powder – cook for 1 minute.
8. Add in cooked Lentil, Salt and a little extra water if the mixture is too thick.
9. Allow to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Add Lemon Juice to taste and garnish with Cilantro.
11. Serves 4-5
1. Soaking the Lentil for about an hour before pressure cooking reduces cooking time.
2. For a creamy variation, add a dollop of yogurt (at the end) to your lentil soup.