We just LOVE salads and we hope you do too. Eating healthy and right is important for us but equally important is to enjoy our food. This Greek Lentil Salad takes care of our health and our palate. Serve it as a light lunch, packed lunch, for picnics or for pot-lucks. Skip the Cheese and make this wonderful vegetarian salad, vegan!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Chill Time: minimum 15 min.
Serves – 2-4
Brown or Green Lentils (Masur Daal) – 1 cup
Water – 8 cups
Smashed Garlic Cloves – 5 or to taste
Salt – to taste
Firm Tomatoes (Grape, Cherry or Roma) – 1 cup, cut
Kalamata Olives – 1/4 cup, chopped or sliced
Cucumber – 1/4, quartered
Basil Leaves – handful, chopped or sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
Fresh Crushed Black Pepper – to taste
Red Chilli Flakes – to taste
Feta Cheese – to taste
Goat Cheese – to taste
Lime/Lemon Juice – to taste
1. Wash the Daal and rinse the water.
2. Boil 8 cups of Water and once it comes to a boil, add the washed Daal, Garlic and Salt.
3. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring once in a while to ensure even cooking.
4. Cook till Daal is tender and cooked but not mushy.
5. Strain the Daal from the water and set aside. You may choose to keep the garlic or remove.
6. Set aside and allow the Daal to cool down completely.
7. Once cooled, add cut Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, Cucumber, Olive Oil, Basil Leaves, Black Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Salt, Feta Cheese, Goat Cheese & Lime Juice.
8. Mix well, chill and enjoy!