Larb (or Laab) is a Thai warm salad that can be made with ground chicken, beef, pork or turkey. Though we call it a salad with all of the freshness from lime, mint leaves and cilantro, Larb can be eaten with sticky rice or different vegetables such as cabbage. Try this Laab recipe as a side dish for your thai meal or as the main coarse…simply delicious!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 – 15 mins
Ground Chicken – 1 lb (approx 500 g)
Lime Juice – from 1 large lime plus more for garnishing
Oil – 1 tsp
Soy Sauce (or Fish Sauce) – 1 Tbsp plus more (to taste) for garnishing
Rice – 1 Tbsp, dry roasted until brown and roughly crushed
Shallot – 1 large, sliced thin
Green Onions – 2 stalks, chopped
Green Chilies – to taste, chopped
Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
Cilantro – handful, chopped
Crushed Red Pepper – to taste
Salt – optional, to taste
1. Add the juice of 1 lime to ground chicken, mix well allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
2. Add Oil to a pan and heat on medium heat.
3. Add Chicken and 1 Tbsp of Soy or Fish Sauce.
4. Mix and cook Chicken until no more pink is seen and all moisture has evaporated. Stir constantly.
5. In a separate bowl, add Shallots, Green Chilies, Green Onions, Mint Leaves and Cilantro.
6. Add cooked chicken and mix well.
7. Add fresh lime juice to taste and additional Fish or Soy Sauce as needed.
8. Add Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste and mix in Crushed Toasted Rice.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature.